logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lemonde  
#1 Posted : 06 November 2015 18:44:00(UTC)
lemonde

Groups: Registered

Here is an excerpt from an email conversation I shared with an internet hoodlum but first a brief explanation.

Needed to sell a domain - in this case F1RV.com. We had just added it to a Flippa auction so beware if you receive emails from interested buyers just after beginning an auction - just tell them to buy it from Flippa directly to call their bluff.

Anyway I received the following email:

Subject: Offer to purchase f1rv.com

Hello!

Our client is interested in purchasing f1rv.com for a new project.

I located your contact information in a domain name whois lookup.

The buyer is an investor from Qatar.

I represent his interests in this deal.

Are you still interested in selling?

The buyer can offer a good price.

If you have more names I can help you to sell them.

Are you an experienced seller?

Best Regards,

Brian Stauffer

Vice President

123 REG HOSTING

Interest without paying the 10% Flippa fee! Wow, better pause that Auction before someone meets the reserve !!!

Also this guy is from 123-reg - the largest domain reseller in the UK!

Hmm the address seems a bit wonky though - why isn't it 123-reg.co.uk?

Let do a whois..

https://who.is/whois/123-reg-uk.co

Registrar Info
Name
GODADDY.COM, INC.

Status
clientDeleteProhibited, clientRenewProhibited, clientTransferProhibited, clientUpdateProhibited

Important Dates

Expires On October 14, 2016
Registered On October 15, 2015
Updated On October 15, 2015

Name Servers
ns11.domaincontrol.com 216.69.185.6
ns12.domaincontrol.com 208.109.255.6

Raw Registrar Data
Registrant Contact Information:
Name: James Woods
Organization: 123 REG UK
Address 1: 5 Roundwood Avenue
City: UXBRIDGE
State: Middlesex
Zip: UB11 1FF
Phone: +44.02034027582
Email: Email Masking Image@123-reg-dns-server.info

Administrative Contact Information:

Technical Contact Information:

Billing Contact Information:

Why on earth is it registered with GoDaddy? 123-reg resell Tu Cows?

But all the billing is there. The phone number goes through to a Cisco switchboard but no one answers. Could be an internal domain used by their overseas representatives I suppose. Lets play along...

So I reply with the following:

Hello Brian,

Yes we sell lots of domain names and if you want a list I can supply you with one.

Does your buyer have a price in mind?

Regards,
SC

OK so expecting him to come back with a $200 offer...

So then I receive this:

The buyer offers $15,000.

Do you have a certificate?

He needs this for accounting/tax purposes.

If you don't have, it's not a problem. You can order it online.

He needs it from a source he knows and trusts.

The certificate must include the following:

1. Independent valuation of the market price. It will show your domain name is not overpriced. On the other hand if the valuation comes higher, he will increase the price accordingly. In the domain name industry, there are many appraisal tools that people use to estimate the value of a domain name. My client does not want to risk and doesn't accept services that use scripts. If you are unsure about some service feel free to ask me.

2. Trademark infringement verification. It proves your domain has no trademark problems. He would like this verification to be included in the appraisal report. It's not a problem because some companies include the TM verification for free.

I’m also interested in a good estimate of the market price because he pays me % on each sale.

You can read about certification agencies at http://archive.answers-g...readview/id/9471063.html (“Domain Broker” is my nickname).

The process is very easy:

1. Go to the certificate agency site and order a certificate. Just submit your domains and let them know you have a buyer with $XX,XXX offer. It will help you to get a better valuation.

2. Send it to me and we will start the sale process. As soon as he receives your certificate he will buy your domain via an escrow service. Any escrow service will be able to pay you via Paypal, Wire, Western Union or any other method you prefer.

He wants to ensure the safe delivery of the funds to you. Furthermore, since this is our first time conducting any business, I believe that using a third-party escrow service can provide a safe, well defined process.

If you are new to certifications, I can send you step by step instructions.

Oh my goodness! This could solve all my financial worries!

So I have a look at the thread from the link he sent over - it feels a bit odd as all these people sell domains so much more easily than has been our experience. Anyway I know that any valuation is a waste of time - have a look at estibot or siteprice.org (both very cleverly written web apps but meaning nothing.) F1rv.com is valuated at 0$ by Estibot and by Siteprice.org for $737 - Anyway it is a xxxx.com domain and so has a lot of value as LLLL.com go for $20-30,000 USD on Flippa.

Anyway I gradually begin to admit to myself that this is a con - and all for only $79 !!!!

Perhaps it is best just to call this person's bluff... Oh well.

So I send:

Thank-you Brian,

Your Qatari client is welcome to independently seek verification of the true worth of F1RV.com but domain valuation is a black art practiced by many but believed by none. A good indicator is to see what most xxxx.com go for on Flippa – usually $20-30,000 USD.

We are more than happy to use Escrow services of course and as I said we sell a lot of domains and so unfortunately don’t do paid valuations as they are worth nothing.

Have a look at http://www.thedomains.co...ain-tools-certification/ for further reference and this might well be why Google have archived the article you sent to me.

F1RV.com is also on Flippa where your client can make his bid and collect the domain efficiently and easily which I recommend as this is the largest domain trading site in the world.

Any further requests please feel free to let me know.

If you wish to see our domain listing you can look here for any other clients:

http://www.resellmydomai...?g=posts&t=25#post42

Best wishes,
Simon Cooper

P.S. I must ask that you provide evidence that you work for 123-reg.co.uk as your whois clearly claims you do but 123-reg is a British company and they don’t have ‘Vice Presidents’ over here. If your domain is showing false whois information then it will be deactivated and we will investigate the IP address it was registered from – did I mention that InsolvencyIT does forensic investigation on behalf of the SFO?

And that was the last of that...

I hope that this helps anyone from being ripped off. I have reported this to the domain registry services and 123-reg.co.uk

The little things are what give these people away - always check the little details...

Thanks for reading....

Edited by user 20 December 2015 21:05:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
domaineer  
#2 Posted : 08 December 2016 16:24:39(UTC)
domaineer

Groups: Registered

Just to say that we saw this email the other day and found this article whilst looking to see if anyone else had been in contact with this 123 domain variant. Thank god we found this before we progressed anything!!

Thanks domaineer